Fall River post cards are still plentiful and can be had in the 1-8 dollar range locally. Cards span the decades from 1900 to about the 1970’s when sending postcards began to lose its appeal. This is the “debut view” of a series of postcards and their counterpart sites as seen today in 2008. It’s sad to see so many familiar landmarks, some of significant architectural merit, destroyed. The most obvious feature missing on the left in the second photo is the great old city hall which was torn down in the early 1960’s. Also gone is the Durfee Theatre and the Granite Block building. The postcard is dated 1945. Happily, the Academy Building is still standing as seen in 1945 in the far background of each image.