Not too much remains today of the 1903 postcard view of South Main St. looking north. The city hall, once the prominent landmark in many postcards, has been replaced by the government center. Shopping fixture, McWhirr’s, was demolished years ago, and the steeple of the Central Congregational Church, currently the Culinary Institute and Abbey Grille now wears a sheath of black mesh after some brickwork and concrete fell to the ground a few months ago. It is still a reassuring presence in the center background of both images. With the price of gasoline now, it sure would be great to have those trolley cars back on Main Street!