92 Second Street improvements
new courthouse, house improvements, around the neighborhood
(Point mouse cursor over the bottom of each frame to see what was there in 1892)
The slides show a view of Second Street, east and west sides between Spring and Rodman streets going south, and Spring and Borden streets going north. as they look today with the names of the businesses which were there in 1892. The bus station across from the Borden house is now, however torn down and a gravel pit is in its place. The new courthouse will be going up on the spot where Hall’s Livery used to be and where the bus station was recently located.
In 1892, Spring St. stopped at the corner of Second and did not go east any farther. (source: Lizzie Borden Past & Present, Leonard Rebello)
If you have not visited the house on Second Street in the past three years- there are some changes in store. The Borden barn has been rebuilt following original blueprints, the house has had a fresh coat of paint, and the old Leary Press has been torn down. The landscaping and other improvements to the property have brought back a closer vision to what the house looked like on the day of the murders. There are even pear trees on the property again, and a hayloft! The barn contains a giftshop selling books and other Lizzie-related items. Tours are on the hour daily 11-3 p.m. Visit the website at http://www.lizzie-borden.com/
The old bus station is demolished and the groundwork preparation is underway for the courthouse to come on 2009. The site will occupy what was the location of Hall’s Livery, the Bowen and Miller house, and a considerable chunk of real estate on the west end of the lot facing South Main.
This view is from the south lawn of #92 Second Street. The buildings in the background are on South Main Street, where the Andrew J. Borden building is still located and where Lizzie’s shoplifting tendencies found fertile possibilities in department stores such as McWhirr’s. As of July 25th, the lot is still a large gravel pit with no signs of activity for the next stage of construction.